Saturday, July 14, 2007

Silence

Hi everyone. A lot has been going on in my life as of late. But unfortunately it involves other people. I’m faced with a dilemma of how to journal my real-life experiences but respect the privacy of others.

My home if filled with silence. The only human voice is my own and I hear it only when I talk to the cats or am on the phone. The silence is difficult to handle. I try to turn on as much white noise on as I can. The fan, air purifier, radio, AC, TV, etc, etc. But I can still hear it, the silence. I know I have said this before and I guess I’ll continue to say it until I’m done saying it: I don’t want to be alone. I’m not talking the “get a roommate” alone. I’m talking about living with my best friend. Coming home each day and talking about what happened. Sitting next to each other and watching TV. Sitting on the floor and eating dinner off the coffee table while we watch TV.

Before I met Carol, I never had this in my whole life. I was always alone. I was abandoned as a child and lived from one place to another. Sometimes with people I know sometime with complete strangers. As I got older I preferred to be alone. My relationships before Carol were disasters. I had given up on ever finding anyone and reserved to a life of being alone.

Here I am once again, alone and living in silence. It is like an old friend that has come back into my life but find it awkward. We used to have so much in common but now found it difficult to carry a conversation longer than 5 minutes. The rest of the visit is spent waiting for it to end.

Waiting for it to end.

That is how I spend my time now, waiting for the loneliness to end. There is only one small detail that keeps getting in the way, grief. One of the chief allies of grief is Denial. It is a four star general with a multitude of resources dedicated to planning and executing strategies to accomplish the mission set out. Damn the consequences to anyone near the action. That’s called collateral damage. It happens, or Shit happens. The difference between lying and denial is the difference between lying to others and lying to yourself. You know when your lying to others but have know idea when your lying to yourself.

The only remedy is honesty. Regrettably with denial the honesty comes only after the fact. My life is being devastated my denial. My consequences may be the loss of friendships. Not just the “hey lets watch a movie or have coffee” friendships but the “this is how I feel” friendships. I must try and continue to make a commitment to see this through no matter how painful it is. I keep trying to tell myself that I want to be alone again. If I believe I want to be alone then I can begin to accept it and somehow be happy again. A part of me thinks this is nothing more than trying to play mind games with myself. The fact is that now that I’ve had a significant amount of time being with a great person, I’ll never be happy being alone again. I just need to learn to tolerate it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Are you ever so right! Now that you've shared a wonderful relationship, you'll never be fully satisfied being alone again. No one ever is after being in a happy marriage. You always want that again. But, for now, you still have to go through your time of craziness and sadness and all that that implies.

Your friends will understand you're not yourself, that you're grieving, when you're grumpy and sad, when you say the wrong things. This is what friends do.

Remember, not much time has passed. This is still so new that your mind and body are still actually in shock, maybe you hadn't considered that. Let time do its job and help you. It won't let you forget, just accept.

Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

Loneliness is such a difficult companion -- Sometimes we have to just sit with it, and let it speak its own poignant language to us; and at other times, we have to struggle and tussle with it, and threaten to leave it by the wayside for awhile, so it doesn't swallow us up whole. In either scenario, the value of its lessons usually aren't illuminated immediately; nor is the pain of its presence diminished for a while. This much I do know -- It is a wise teacher, if we allow it to be; and as we all reluctantly acknowledge, life's deepest, richest and abiding lessons seem most always to be the hardest ... But then, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know , am I??

Keep writing and processing and putting your thoughts on the table, just as Carol did; trying to make sense of what oftentimes seems incomprehensible. Bit by bit, it'll all come together at some unexpected point and time, and we'll all be supporting you in whatever ways we're able until then.

~Kim