Monday, July 30, 2007

Pain Part 3

Final Diagnosis: Thrombosed Hemorrhoid

That's what is says on the paper anyway. Before I start, some of you may wonder why I'm putting such intimate details about my health on here. Trust me, towards the end I will share how this fits into my Journey.

Saturday afternoon I notice some pain from hemorrhoids. No big deal I get them and can let it run it course. However by Saturday night I knew something was very different. I was in San Diego to see friends. By 11pm I knew something was very wrong. The pain was very very bad. I was with a friend and they had to drive me home. Sunday I tried all the treatments I could find on the Internet. Nothing was working. As I was trying to find a treatment, I found a site that talked about a serious condition that is very painful and needs to be looked at right away. The size of mine was very disturbing to me and with the pain I was in, decided to go to the ER.

I never, never wanted to step foot in that "ER" again. That should give you some kind of idea the level of pain I was in. To willingly walk back into the ER where I waited to be told my wife died 4 months ago, is an example of the level of pain. I had to wait 2 hours before I was finally seen.

I was examined and was told it was not the serious kind but that they needed to lance it and get out all the blood clots. For the next 30 min, I was in hell. There was apparently a lot of blood clots. It took some time to dig them all out. How this relates to my Journey is this, while I was experiencing one of the worst physical painful moments of my life, I never felt so alone. If Carol was here, she would have been with me and held my hand and helped me through it. But she wasn't and I had to go through it alone.

A friend showed up at the ER when the procedure was finished and I was able to go home. He went to the pharmacy and got the two medications I needed. I was grateful someone was there to help. I had earlier sent out some text messages that I was in pain.

Update: I had to stay home today for a follow up from yesterday. The doctor took one look and said I need to see a surgeon. Looks like I get to see the surgeon tomorrow at 3pm. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly! What a rough go 'round; not only the physical pain, but the psychological pain, as well. I'm so sorry ...

You're in my thoughts, as you prepare to see the surgeon. Will you have someone with you?

Love, Kim