Thursday, July 5, 2007

Memories and Stuff

I really wanted to say “Memories and Shit” but thought that might be too offensive for some people.

The fourth of July. Yep, it was yesterday, all day… I was invited to two parties but didn’t go to either. I had a friend call that is in crisis and needed to hang out with someone for awhile. Afterwards I came home and watched TV. I heard the fireworks. Carol loved fireworks. Our house has a great view of the Upland Fireworks. Every year we would go out and watch. People who lived around us would come over and chat as we watched. This year I went outside and stood. No one came out. I stood alone for awhile and went back inside.

Stuff. What to do with the stuff? Carol’s coats are still in the closet. The vacuum is in the closet so every time I vacuum the house I open the closet and see her coats. Every coat has a memory. Not just an “Oh that’s Carol’s Coat” memory but I see her in it and hear her voice. One in particular is her favorite. It’s gray with a hood and very cozy. Carol loved that coat. She would look forward to it getting cold just so she could wear it. I bought her that coat for our first Xmas together. How can I give that away to Goodwill or some organization? Each one is like that.

Coin collection. Carol had started the Quarter collection when they started making them with each State on the back. She would love it when I would come home with a ton of change and look for the ones she didn’t have. Do I finish it?

Every Stuff has a memory. How does one throw away Stuff with Memories?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Yes, please keep the coin collection, complete it, and put it away someplace. As for Carol's clothes, keep them for as long as you must, and then give them to someone who needs them. They are just clothes; they are not Carol. You'll come to realize the difference one day. Keep her wallet and the things in it, most of us do that, I think. When you've done this, you'll feel a vast weight lifted off your soul. You'll be surprised.

Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

I think going through things several times, taking out some things each time so as not to get rid of something before you're ready might be a good idea. Each time you will feel a sense of accomplishment for getting through it, and you will have less to deal with the next time. You will finally come up with the things that mean the most to you and that's what you will keep. Small steps are best, they come with fewer regrets I think!
take care,
Carrie