Friday, March 7, 2008

When is….

…a year a year? I mean, is it 365 days, or the day of the week, or the numeric day of the month? Carol died on the 15th of March 7, 2007. It was a Thursday. The one year mark is all messed up. Leap year has added a day making it 366 days. If I reflect on her death on Thursday next week, am I premature? If I reflect on Saturday is it too late or just not the same? Some of you may be thinking, “what dumb questions.” And you may be right. I don’t know why it is important to me. I will always think of Carol’s death as a Thursday. I will always remember Friday as my first day without her which was a day that seemed to never end.

As far as other things in my life go I’m doing much better today. Should I feel guilty that I think I did the right thing? I don’t know. I had to wait until dark to look for pee spots with a black light. I found them in the guest room. It wasn’t until I went into my bedroom that I was horrified to see the extent of what has been going on. I have no idea how long she had been having that problem but there is not a single square foot of my bedroom that does not have a pee spot. I am fortunate that it doesn’t smell but I still think I’m going to have to re-carpet the whole house. For whatever reason, her brain clicked into a mode that she thought it was just ok to do what she wanted to do. I know that if Carol was alive, she would not have tolerated this for very long. It would have devastated her to do what I had to do but I know Carol, she would have done it.

So I guess I’m doing ok today.

Kel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whether it's 7 or "Eight Days a Week", "Here,There and Everywhere", you "Carry That Weight" of loss, but in time, "With a Little Help From My Friends", you will be "Getting Better" and "Fixing a Hole" in your heart will eventually ease that pain. So just one day at a time, along with "A Hard Day's Night", you will endure, and grow. The question "Tell Me Why" will subside.

Your brudda,
Spawnie

P.S. "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey"