Friday, October 19, 2007

A Simple Goodbye


The pain came back yesterday. It felt like a balloon with spikes being inflated in my head. Like a 30lb hot rock was sitting in my gut. Like my heart was being torn to pieces. Every time I would think about it, I would start to cry and my eyes would start to hurt. What was the source of this pain? A Simple Goodbye.

I have a team member here at work. Technically, she works from me but I have always considered her an equal. I may have more experience at some things but we work as a team. She was having difficulty with an installation of a software product we were working on. I spent about 45min helping her out and showing how to trouble shoot the issue. When I was done I went up stairs and was told my old boss was on the phone. That was the day Carol died. Whenever I think back to where I was at the time Carol died, I will always have the memory of being with my team member.

She is leaving today. She got a well deserved promotion and is moving to the east coast. Yesterday was her going away luncheon. Every time I thought about going or about her leaving, the pain would hit and hit hard. I had to send an email saying I couldn’t go and then went home. Today I start to cry every time I think about her coming to my cube to say goodbye. I will do it though. She has been a friend and a trusted team member and I will genuinely miss her.

Goodbye M

Kel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

When your heart's already so full of loss, anymore loss is very hard to take. You know, the old "camel and straw" addage. But, as we both know, it really won't break your back, only seems like it.

Hang on with both hands. It's good exercise!

Cousin Merle