Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Benefits

As I've said before, I got a letter for Kaiser telling me I've been declined coverage. This began a day on the phone with my Benefits Department at work. First I started with Kaiser. All they could tell me is my employer terminated my coverage on the 15 of March. They could tell me nothing more. Next I called my company's benefits department. I can't tell you how much I love voice recognition software for menu options! I jump with joy each time I get a computer and not a real person. I can look forward to repeated "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Please say again." over and over again. /sigh/ I finally reached a real person.

I started by telling them this was going to be very complicated. Figured it would be best to get them mentally ready for what was coming. After giving all the details, she said "Oh my..." It seems this is what happened. When I first called to notify benefits of the death of Carol I was giving the option to change my coverage. For some reason I decided to switch to Kaiser. I had always heard they are great if your healthy and never need to be treated. That's me! I think that they should give a two month window to make that change. I had now idea what I was doing at the time let along make a decision to change coverage on a moments notice on the phone. They made the effect date of the change the 15 of March. The day Carol died. That meant I started getting all the bills for the "event" showing not covered. I called again and asked about it. The changed it so that the bills would be covered. But what I didn't know until yesterday is they way they changed it to cover the bills is they canceled my coverage with Kaiser and put me back on BCBS. I happen to be seeing a Kaiser doctor while on disability and need to see him again on the 29 to return on the 30.

What they said the will do, and I hope they can, is put me back in Kaiser starting the 17 of March through the rest of the period. Then I can still have all my treatments that I've had up to now covered and I can still go back to the doctor on the 29 to return to work on the 30. All of the bill for Carol will be paid.

I worked out at the gym twice yesterday and again today at 5:30am. I have been having a string of good days in a row. Let's hope today stays the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,
I have been back to visit Carol's blog several times in the last two months. Somehtimes it just felt good to read her thoughts and enjoy when there was a good day posted. Like for the others, her birthday was a hard day. I think of her always and I miss her tons. Every time I go shopping and see a cute cat thing, or better - cute dog thing to twist her tail - I think in my head, I should get that for Carol. And then reality slaps me a moment later and that idea gets squashed.
There was an article in the Winter CF Roundtable that I read just after titled "Do I Look Sick" and the writer shared a story she had read of a person's experience with a chronical illness and she explained her day-to-day life by "the Spoon Theory". It put into prespective a lot of how incredibly hard Carol's life must have been, with every activity becoming a tradeoff. You saw all that first hand every day. I'm just so incredibly grateful she had you! It is a journey, and I hope and pray for you daily. If you ever need a break you're always welcome out here in Austin.
Lots of love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Today was Cousins' Luncheon and, of course, we talked about Carol and missed her very much. We also talked about you and we're all glad you're doing as well as you can. June says since she lost Paul the nights are hardest, as she can keep busy during the day. She says the house seems to grow larger at night. Maybe you have experienced that, too. Something we who have not lost our spouses have not thought of. Keep on working at it one day at a time. We thinking of you always.
Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

Whew, the insurance roller coaster ride sounds like it may finally be slowing down (hopefully!!) --

So glad you're getting in to the gym and that the days are a little more do-able. Easy does it ...

I've been doing the same thing that Joyce spoke of: going to Carol's blogs and re-reading her thoughts. I also loved what you wrote the other day, recalling how when you'd come home from work and she'd greet you with squeals and hugs for her honey ... or how you'd see her in her chair, reading or watching TV. These are truly tender mercies.

Wishing you a good night tonight, and a bright day tomorrow ~
Love, Kim