Tuesday, August 5, 2008

and Just Like That...

Friends of mine have been encouraging me to install an alarm system for the house. I travel a lot and it would be a good idea to have one. I was lucky to have one in the house already. The sales guy came out and looked at everything and told me it would be easy to swap out all the gear for their own. I set up a time for them to come out.

As some of you know one of the last places/things that I've been holding on to is Carol's coats. She 'loved' her coats. She loved it when it was cold outside and she would bundle up in one of her fav coats and beam this big bright smile. Every once and awhile I would open up the closet and see them in there and think I need to take them to goodwill or something. But then I would close it and think I'll do it another time.

So the tech came out to install the alarm system. The main box just happens to be in the front closet. He came in talked a little bit, looked around, opened the closet door and Just Like That grabbed all of Carol's coats and took them out. My first reactions was like, "WTF!?" My heart skipped a beat. I stood there looking at them on the sofa arm rest. Then, Just Like That, I thought "It's time" and started going through all the pockets and making a pile.

After everything was done, I took all the coats to Goodwill. No crying, no cathartic or sad emotions. Later I was eating at Nancys. I was going through my contacts in my phone when I came across Carol's cell number. I would see it from time to time but could never bring myself to delete it. Sitting there, Just Like That... I pushed "Options, Erase, Yes" and it was done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,

Well done! Now, I'm going to do something, too. I'm going to change the name on my phone to read "Kelly Sweeten" instead of "Carol Sweeten," something I couldn't bring myself to do before. Small steps...

Cousin Merle

Anonymous said...

Whooo Hoooo! Bruddah!..I seez healing process is a workin, you makes a me proud, see ya thursday

Spawnie

Anonymous said...

"Big Boy" stuff as we say around here, huh?

cbt

Anonymous said...

You might not know when the opportunity to take the next step forward will come, the important thing is that you are taking it!
Well done.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly! Just using this space to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY Friday 8/15! Have a wonderful day and year, hope things just keep getting better for you.
Barb